Studying at UTC Bolton
UTC Bolton specialises in health sciences and engineering technologies. These subject areas have been chosen because there are significant skills shortages nationally and locally. We will ensure that graduating students will be in demand by employers and universities.
A unique curriculum combines core skills in numeracy and literacy with specialist technical studies and testing practical projects from local employers. Employers mentor and support students with guest classes, technical support and site visits. Employers also provide facilities, placements, internships and ‘industry real’ experience. The curriculum is designed to stimulate students and bring traditional academic subjects to life.
The teaching year comprises of five eight week terms.
The school day is longer. It runs from 8:30 to 16:10. This enables a comprehensive offer of core studies, specialist and technical studies and project based working. Time is set aside for formal homework during the school day.
A longer day allows a significant enrichment curriculum. This includes Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE); Duke of Edinburgh/York Awards; Sports and Physical Education as well as a range of clubs and societies.
UTC Bolton’s enrichment guarantee is that all students have opportunities to develop their self-confidence, leadership and wider life skills. This enables students to move successfully into higher education and/or the workplace.
UTC Bolton helps students develop a questioning, logical mind with the ability to make connections, think critically, be objective and original, and work independently and in teams.
UTC Bolton provides its students with:
• A distinctive, engaging and rigorous curriculum that combines core skills in numeracy and literacy with specialist technical studies and testing practical projects from local employers. It is designed to stimulate students and bring traditional academic subjects to life.
• An individual learning pathway and progression route designed to achieve maximum progress and motivation for each student allowing them to achieve their best. A personal portfolio demonstrates their understanding and skills in health sciences and engineering technologies. It will be evidence of their resilience, resourcefulness and reflection from working on employer devised projects.
• A range of extracurricular enrichment activities develop the wider personal skills and attributes valued by employers. UTC Bolton maintain the ethos that well developed and rounded individuals are ones that work hard and play hard.
• Work experience through Explore & Discover Project Based Learning and simulated professional work place based environments such as Robotics, Electronics, Clinical Health, Pharmacy & Dentistry.
• Extended hours of study allowing around 40 more days teaching in a year and no formal homework.
• State-of-the-art buildings and facilities to support technical learning with the latest technology
• An outstanding education in a business-like environment