It is with enormous pleasure that I am able to write to share the fantastic news that UTC Bolton has been rated ‘Good’ by Ofsted. This follows a two-day Ofsted inspection, which as you know took place on 13th and 14th March.
I am delighted that Ofsted has recognised all the excellent work going on at UTC Bolton and our “harmonious surroundings”. The inspectors noted how we have maintained “the good quality education” and continued to drive improvement across the UTC, since our last inspection in February 2017.
The report also recognised UTC Bolton’s strong STEM focus and UTC Ethos. Inspectors were particularly impressed with the fact over 85% of students go straight into health science and engineering related courses for higher education. They acknowledged that pupils make good progress during their time at our UTC.
This achievement would not have been possible without your support and I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you, your fantastic children and our dedicated staff for their hard work and commitment, which has helped to make UTC Bolton such an amazing place to learn, work and succeed.
The report highlights many key strengths of our UTC. Some areas that make us very proud include:
- Leaders have established a strong culture of safeguarding in the college. Pupils feel safe and well supported.
- The college’s curriculum provides opportunities for pupils to develop their knowledge and understanding of STEM subjects through GCSEs and vocational subjects.
- Pupils spoke very positively about the advice that they receive in choosing which subjects to study.
Students have access to a broad programme of careers information, advice and guidance to support their next steps in education, training or employment.
- The vast majority of parents who completed Parent View, Ofsted’s online questionnaire, said they would recommend the college to others.
- Students rightly acknowledge the harmonious surroundings.
- The Acting Principal is well supported by his Senior Leaders and Governors. They have developed an inclusive community with a culture of high expectations that is shared by pupils and staff.
- Pupils make good progress during their time at UTC Bolton.
I have attached a copy of the OFSTED summary sheet to this letter. A full copy of the report from Ofsted will be made available through the UTC website. Click Here
I am extremely proud of everything that we have been able to achieve here at UTC Bolton and, with your help, as always. I look forward to the UTC continuing on a strong upward trajectory, as we work towards becoming “Outstanding”. We pledge to continue to help all our students fulfil their potential and to inspire the wider community.
We have two open events coming up, on Saturday 27th April 2019 at 10am-12pm and 8th May 2019 at 5pm – 7.30pm. If you know any other young people or families that are interested in joining UTC Bolton then please let them know about our open days and ask them to sign up to attend one of the events on our Website. As always, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch on 01204 37 48 48.
With very best wishes
Mr Liam A McDaid